Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Something I've learned and hopefully won't soon forget.

This conference was very constructive!

First a background story. This summer I was flying out to Hawaii for my cousin, Brenn's, wedding. I was so pumped for the flight I had a book, a few sudoku puzzles, my scriptures, and a spare Book of Mormon to hand to someone on the flight. I was going to be flying in style, gettin' my spirituality on and such. As I boarded the plane I looked at my seat and next to it I saw this gorgeous blonde girl sitting there. I conflictedly put my scriptures and spare B.O.M.back into my backpack and stowed it in the overhead compartment, but kept the sudoku puzzle book and reading book with me. There was no way I was going to let this girl know that I was some sort of religious freak. I talked to her literally the entire 6 hour flight and had an amazing time, we laughed and joked and she was German and had a really cute accent. We talked about our future plans and ambitions and we vibed so well! We got off the plane walked over to the luggage area and waited and talked some more. But...I haven't seen her since, I haven't talked to her since, and I haven't even found her on facebook! I can't even remember her name! Oh wait...yes I do, it's Sarah. But the overall point is that what different path might our conversation taken had I not been afraid to keep my scriptures with me. Would I have maybe given her that spare Book of Mormon? Could I have kept in contact with her? Would she have converted? Probably not....but even still it's the principal of the matter.

I took one thing that is going to MAJORLY effect my lifestyle. And I think it's the hardest one for everyone to live, because it is scary! Elder Perry brought it up and it's found in 1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear...he that feareth is not made perfect in love." I don't know about ya'll, but I am sooooooo afraid of sharing the gospel. It's easy to think that someone will judge you for your religious views, and it's easy for them to judge you for having religious views now a days. But had I not let fear trample my love for the gospel things might have ended differently in that 6 hour plane ride where the German girl was stuck with listening to what I had to say. Dangit! I'm going to find her! Well, I'm off to bed! Good Night!

2 comments:

BLY and LOU said...

The best way I know to share your testimony is to BE your testimony. In other words, just live the gospel and people will see who you are. The conversation isn't something you necessarily have to initiate, unless you are prompted by the spirit. It will just happen naturally as people see the way you live they will want to know why you are who you are. Let your light so shine! Boy, you have a beautiful light!!! love ya

Kendon Bly said...

Thanks for calling my light beautiful?